How To Charge Gear S
A short and to-the-point tutorial of how to charge a Samsung Gear S watch.
Are you an owner of Samsung Gear S smartwatch? Or are you thinking about buying yourself Gear S?
Whatever the case, you need to know how to charge your smartwatch and how to improve its battery life.
As charging is a bit non-standard in this particular watch, I decided to create a separate tutorial where you will learn how to charge Gear S correctly. Let’s begin!
Necessary Equipment For Charging Gear S
If you have never had Gear S, you may be a bit surprised at how Samsung handled charging in this particular watch. Normally, all you need is your device and a charger (with a USB cable). Here, however, it’s a little bit different.
To charge your Samsung Gear S, you need:
- A standard USB charger (with a cable). Samsung says that you need to use only Samsung-approved chargers and equipment, but I tried it with different chargers (Sony and Amazon) and it works perfect. However, if you have a Samsung USB cable and charger, use them.
- The charging dock that comes together with your watch. This is both funny and useful. You can only charge your watch through the charging dock (you stick the charging cable to it) correctly attached to the bottom of your watch. The good news is that the charging dock can also work as a spare battery (or power bank) and when it’s charged you can still recharge your watch while you are, for example, travelling and don’t have any sockets nearby.
- Your discharged (or discharging) Gear S
How To Charge Gear S Without Damaging It
Unfortunately, it’s quite easy to damage your Gear S if you don’t charge it properly. Here is what you need to do:
- Remember that you won’t be able to charge your watch without the charging dock, so make sure you don’t lose it.
- Match the charging terminals with each other (there is one on the charging dock and on the bottom of your watch). They have to face each other to work.
- Connect your Gear S watch with the charging dock. If there is still power in the dock, your watch will automatically start to charge and display battery percentage.
- Plug in the USB cable into the charging dock that has been attached to your watch.
- Connect the USB cable to the USB power adaptor. Plug it into an electric socket. Now both your watch and your dock will start to charge.
Important Information About Charging Gear S
If you want your Gear S to work for as long as possible, you have to apply some best practices.
- If your Gear S has discharged completely, you won’t be able to turn it on instantly after connecting it to the charger. You need to give it a few minutes before you turn it on.
- Take proper care of the charging dock as you won’t be able to charge your watch without it.
- Make sure that the charging terminals (both on your watch and the dock) are free from sweat, dust or water.
- Here Samsung suggests you only use the approved chargers otherwise the battery or dock may explode. I never hear of a battery exploding because someone used a different charger but, nevertheless, keep that warning in mind.
- While your Gear S is charging, some of its features may be unavailable, so don’t worry.
- Your Gear S may heat up while charging and it’s normal.
This is pretty much everything you need to know about properly charging Gear S.
If you have any questions, comments or problems, feel free to contact me directly or leave me your comment in the comment box below. I would love to hear from you (as always).